How to Install and Setup WordPress SEO Plugin by Yoast

dailydose

Hey dear,

Here’s the exact step-by-step and easiest guide in plain English language for configuring Yoast SEO plugin properly. Using this configuration you can improve your On-site SEO.

From Installation to Configuration, learn step by step …

1. Login to WordPress Dashboard example.com/wp-admin/

2. Add new plugin > Search Yoast SEO

3. Click on Install Now to begin Installation
    install-yoast-seo

4. Active the Plugin
    activate-yoast-seo-wordpress-plugin

5. Go to Settings, this will redirect to General/Dashboard of Yoast SEO plugin.
    yoast-settings

6. Now, you are at General Settings

7. In case you notice “Huge SEO Issue: You’re blocking access to robots. You must go to your Reading Settings and uncheck the box for Search Engine Visibility.” message; To fix this go to Reading settings and uncheck Discourage Search Engine checkbox. This will allow indexing in Search Engine.

8. Go back to Yoast SEO General Settings and Click on Features Tab

9. Enable Advanced Settings, Save changes.

This will allow extended customization with various menus.

10. Now go to Dashboard > Your Info > Fill up Basic Information.

11. Navigate to Webmaster Tools option, using this option you can add property in Search Console

12. Click on Google Search Console Link. It will redirect to Verification Page.

13. Click on “Alternative” Option

14. Choose HTML Tag method > Copy the Google Site verification - HTML meta tag

15. Paste HTML Tag in Yoast Webmaster Tools > Google Search Console Field > Save changes
    google-search-console-property-verification
    This above procedure will verify your Domain as a new property in the Search Console.

16. Now, you will see a message “Settings saved” and you are elegible for the verification

17. Click on Verify in the Search Search Console page to verify your domain as a new property

18. Now, you have verified :white_check_mark:. Search console part completed.

19. Let’s see another important settings of Yoast plugin, go to Title & Meta from Yoast menu.
    title-and-metas-yoast-configuration

20. The first thing here, you will see General, Homepage, Post Types, Taxonomies and Archives. I will guide you step by step each options. Keep reading with patience! :slight_smile:

21. Title Seperator > If you have any specific choice, feel free to choose or leave as it is.

22. Navigate to Homepage, you will see random latin-greek in Title Template.
    homepage

23. Write your blog title up to 65 characters, and description in 320 Characters. This is same what will be visible in the Search Engine.

24. Navigate to Post Types. Here you can set meta robots, show or hide date for each specific post types. Keep only Post and Pages index, rest everything noindex.

25. Scroll down, you will see option for Media (Attachment). Note: It is NOT about your uploaded JPEG or PNG image file. It just a attachment page what WordPress creates for each post attached images. It is strongly recommend keep it noindex to avoid duplicate content and thin pages indexing.
    noindex-attachment

26. If you are old Yoast user, it’s time to revise your settings. Your wrong settings might be showing you warning like this. To fix, you should NEVER redirect attachment to parent posts. I will go in detail next moment.

27. If you see any more stuff in the Post Types like Testimonials or Affiliate Links, keep all those noindex.

28. Moving forward, Go to Taxonomies. Here you see option to index/noindex navigational pages like categories, tags, and format. Keep all of them noindex to avoid duplicate content.
    taxonomies

29. For categories, generally noindex would be better, unless if you consider writing a detailed Archive Intro Text by editing each categories which you create.
    categories

30. Noindex Tags
    tags-yoast-seo-plugin

31. Also, noindex or you may completely disable Format tags.
    format-yoast
    I prefer disable.
    disable-format

32. Now, navigate to Archives. This is another important settings which you need to do to avoid duplicate content indexing.
    archives

33. Noindex Author Archives, Disable Date archives. Our goal should be to keep this suff either noindex of disable to avoid duplicate content.

34. Next, navigate to Social settings of Yoast SEO Plugin. This is important settings which will integrate Social Profile, Open Graph, Twitter Card for your site.
    social-settings

35. Go to Accounts > Fill up all profile URLs and username

36. Go to Facebook Tab, Enable Open Graph. Below I have written why.
    What is Open Graph? It is a kind of social meta tags recognized by Facebook as well as many other sites for displaying link description and defined thumbnail image. Example, see below.

37. You can set custom image for the frontpage (Homepage) and a default image as fallback for all posts.

38. Next, Facebook Application Configuration. You can read here more about it.

39. Similary, you can enable Twitter cards
    twitter%20card

40. Pinterest & Google+; if you use you can follow its on-screen instruction. I don’t use much.

41. Fast forward, Move to XML Sitemaps. This is very important.
    XML%20Sitemaps

42. Keep XML Sitemap Enabled

We should only add those pages in the Sitemap which we want to index.

43. Keep Disabled Author/User Sitemap
    user-sitemap-yoast

44. Switch to Post Types Tab, keep enable Sitemap only for Post & pages. No need to include Media/Attachment pages. As in the last steps, we have already noindex it from Title and Meta settings.
    media-yoast

45. Excluded Posts: If you want to keep some pages hidden for example, download eBook, etc kind of stuff. You may include the Post ID into Exclude Posts option.
    excluded-posts
    This is how you can find any post ID, go to All posts > Edit > See the address bar.

46. Exclude all taxonomies, since we have already noindex it.
    taxonomies

47. Next settings, Go to Yoast Advanced
    yoast-advanced

48. In Advanced, you will see menus for Breadcrumbs, Permalinks and RSS
    advanced

49. Keep Breadcrumbs disabled. If your theme already add, you don’t need to include again.

50. Navigate to Permalinks, this is critical where most of us do mistakes.
    clean-urls
    Don’t redirect attachment URLs to Parent Post URL. Much better, keep it “No Redirect”, and let it be noindex for all media attachment pages as shared above in Title and Meta settings.

51. Clean-up Permalinks
    clean-up-permalinks
    Removing stop words will help you in keeping pemalink short and sweet. Must remove ?replytocom to avoid unnecessary crawling and duplicate-indexing. Frankly speaking, I am not huge fan of query string unless if sometime I want bypass browser cache for any web page. :smiley:

52. Leave RSS Feed options as it is.

53. Next, move to Tools > File Editor . Here we will see robots.txt and .htaccess rule settings

54. Click on Create robots.txt file.

robots.txt file helps search engine to understand crawling permission for any site. You can use below robots.txt rules for better crawling. You can check Gist page to learn more in detail how and why each rule has been written.

I hope this helps. Any suggestion, feedback is much appreiciated. :slight_smile:
#DailyDose

Thanks & Regards,
Gulshan

How to Backup & Restore WordPress with Updraftplus?
Get Star Rating in the Google Search Results (Without a Plugin)
How to generate Open Graph Tag through Yoast?
BunnyCDN - Review of Lightning fast CDN
Shortcut tip: Quickly Noindex 1000s of WordPress Attachment Pages
Unusual categories are indexing
Common Mistakes of WordPress users
Things to consider before starting new blog

Very helpful guide this is. It is always very confusing to configure yoast properly. :sweat_smile:

And around how much time it took you to write this guide with all the screenshots.

he should have written article on main site and gave just references here.

It took near 2 hours to complete with all screenshots.

Then it was possible to go little more in-depth. :smile:
No-problem. This is a quick tutorial.

It was really a fantastic work @GulshanKumar Bro. Nice to have you back. :smiley:

Thanks @GulshanKumar, this guide is much more helpful for me…!!!

I have a question regarding SEO plugin Actually all In one seo plugin are also same as yoast can you suggest me which is good one for better seo…??

And second I am old user of yoast Can I upadte yoast setting…?? like removing stop world etc that effect SEO because all old content have some stop word when we removed that,They make lotsof redirection…??

The way Yoast SEO Plugin provides improvement-suggestions while writing a content is truly awesome. I have been using Yoast at all sites and never thought to switch to another.

No worries - if you consider removing stop words it will not change your existing blog post’s permalink. Instead, it will reflect changes in the upcoming post while writing permalink you will notice; Yoast will self-exclude stop words.

very helpful for beginner like me

Yes, it’s necessary.

If you don’t want to keep /category/ slug, feel free to remove it. It will make URL shorter.

I prefer avoiding those tricks, because I am afraid if some plugin do not support it.

Recently, WordPress released embed features that allow embedding of self blog post also. This is different than YouTube iframe stuff. While using this feature, I found warning in the Search Console for the path /wp-admin/images/. Therefore, I prefer to keep it allowed since two common rules doesn’t satisfy the need. I see, as most user don’t use embed so this may not be applicable for everyone.

@GulshanKumar I have 2 small doubts. Please clarify the same!

Should I authenticate the following?

Secondly, I am using Affiliate Links Lite plugin, should i be changing “Show Affiliate Links in search results?” to No? Right?

1. By authentication you will get Search Console crawl error report directly in your Dashboard.

2. For Affiliate links, keeping noindex is better.

Yoast seo version has been changed. Sitemap settings not available, @GulshanKumar please do update.

do we have to simply and paste the robot.txt file or edit our sitename for exmaple.com

You need to replace example domain with own.

To find sitemap option in Yoast new version,

• Go to Yoast > General > Feature > Toggle Sitemap button on.

where is all this settings in new yoast seo??

In the new version, you can find this way

Thanks, bro. It is really useful to beginners.