The default commenting system of WordPress is best in my opinion concerning SEO and performance. It costs nothing. The only problem is it attracts a lot of spam. There are few plugins I have tried myself but I have found false-positive, going real comment in spam folder and it is not always the secure solution.
Introducing Forget Spam Comment plugin
- A normal visitor generally read the article while scroll the web page as well. This plugin allow commenting if a user scroll the web page else it returns error 400 to prevent bot comments.
Behind the scene it goes in these steps.
// Action URL to POST comment From = "https://www.example.com/wp-comments-post.php" To = ""
First off, plugin removes the action URL from the comment form using official filter
If a user scroll the web page, the tiny JS will modify the action URL on the fly containing a special query string. Something like
The query parameter is md5 hash of Global Server Variable. Means, Site A and Site B will always have a unique query string.
- The plugin check if POST request is made without any query string then it returns error 400, otherwise it allow posting commenting for the geninue visitors.
Have tested this plugin with many popular theme, caching system and web browser namely Chrome, Firefox, Safari. It should work as normally.
How to use?
- Login to WordPress Dashboard
- Go to Plugins > Add new > Search for ‘Forget Spam Comment’ or manually Upload
- Purge Page Cache of NGINX FastCGI/WP Rocket/Varnish/Cloudflare/Sucuri (Must)
Things to do after Installation
- Try posting comment and keep it at least one day to see how many real and spam comments you get. So, far I have not received any spam and only real comments.
Please do share with your friends.
Thanks for your overwhelming support.