Privacy & Security

Disclaimer: I am not a fanboi of Google.

Google has made our life much easier. Despite having privacy concern, we cannot skip its product.

1. Search: I personally do not like any alternative due to quality of result.

2. AdSense: It’s a main source of earning for many ‘bloggers’.

3. YouTube: There is no alternative like this.

4. Google Assistant: It’s day to day, daily driver for keeping thing remember.

5. Gmail: Fast, Secure, Powerful search feature that doesn’t disappoint.

6. Android: When above all is not possible, this comes in the same line.

Do you see any way?

When I am online, I consider any thing I type, share with any one is in the Public privacy and suppose to be revealed at any time, in any Data breach. If there is anything not meant to be shared, that means not to share on the web. Once what comes here, never get deleted.

4 Likes

Never buy domain names on Godaddy - It's a crap

I am also trying to make my life google free slowly :wink::wink:
I replaced gmail with protonmail, google search with duckduckgo, google keep with zohonotes. Still have to use several google services like YouTube, maps etc.

1 Like

I use duckduckgo and it gets my job done for the most part.

I don’t depend on it so it really doesn’t apply to me.

There is no real alternative but there is a need for a competing product or else YouTube will be a monopoly which is not good for economy.

Amazon alexa, Apple SIRI, Samsung Bixby are good contenders (admitted not as smart) but I still trust my own self for reminders. etc.

Not using it anymore, Completely self-hosted email server for last 8 months and I’m so far happy with it.

Google owns android and that’s why the first thing I do is to unlock the phone, flash an aftermarket android firmware either self compiled or from a trusted 3rd party and it runs without google apps suite.

But I’d agree that I always have one phone with me that runs all of google stuff because maps and YouTube is life and there is no way around.

3 Likes

It’s a good step. :+1:

We can possibly restrict the information from passing to Google by opting out from its services. But seriously, it’s not that easy.

A case study -

I have also tried once best to switch Firefox and you won’t believe… how awful it was my experience. I was unable to paste a copied text in their mob browser and being so irk I had to switch back to the Chrome.

Google products and services, may have privacy concern but at the same time nothing is easier to use like that.

0 Likes

I’d recommend using some privacy focused fork of chrome (ala chromium) on android. on desktop, firefox is good.

That’s very true. They heavily invest in the UX and then recover it from their privacy violating methods.

0 Likes

I respect its privacy mission. However, biggest disappointing thing is its Search Result appears similar to Bing.

If a site is noindex in the Bing, DuckDuckGo also doesn’t show it.

0 Likes

I’m not following this. Please elaborate and enlighten me?

0 Likes

Never buy domain names on Godaddy - It's a crap

After using below code for a year,

<meta name="bingbot" content="noindex">

I found that Bing, Yahoo, DuckDuckGo and many other small search engines that appears powered by Bing deindexed most permalinks of that site.

1 Like

Can you share if there were any other bots that you were noindexing ??

What I know of duckduckgo is that they do honor bots other than google and bing is among one of the biggest bots. I don’t know why that is but perhaps you may contact them regarding this and they find a fix for the same?

0 Likes

I think it’s normal because they fetch most search results from the Bing, as somewhere I have read it…

https://www.quora.com/How-is-the-Bing-API-used-by-DuckDuckGo/answer/Yannick-Veys

and I feel same that DuckDuckDo SERPs is so similar to Bing.

0 Likes

I haven’t found any relevant relation between the two except that duckduckgo has slightly better results than bing.

0 Likes

No, my prime goal was to noindex Bing only and website got accidently removed from the Yahoo and DuckDuckGo. This fairly proves how thing is working!

I have never used Noindex for any other Bots.

0 Likes

I’d say once again! that can potentially be a bug!
You may open a bug report because you have data (and I don’t)

0 Likes

Its true Duckduckgo can never match google results as google is getting more than 6+ billion search queries while Duckduckgo gets only 35 million approx (duckduckgo.com/traffic) but it is gaining pace in recent years.

Duckduckgo is probably the closest contender of google due to their algorithm. They filter Bing results and rearrange them using their own algorithm, but recently they started to crawl web on their own using Amazon servers. They will improve with time as their search volume will increase.

0 Likes

That’s not required I think, and I highly doubt they would care it.

It’s crystal clear that Bing powers DuckDuckGo, I couldn’t find any evidence of DuckDuckGo crawler or own webmaster tool like Google!

Credible reference where they have said using Bing.

0 Likes

Bing (and 400 other sources!) Power their search.

And they do mention their crawler name on the same page You linked above and I’ve seen this crawling my now-defunct forum.

In fact, DuckDuckGo gets its results from over four hundred sources. These include hundreds of vertical sources delivering niche Instant Answers, DuckDuckBot (our crawler) and crowd-sourced sites (like Wikipedia, stored in our answer indexes). We also of course have more traditional links in the search results, which we also source from a variety of partners, including Oath (formerly Yahoo) and Bing.

I think Your argument has some weight.

0 Likes