For every little thing, why rely on a plugin?
I see a common thing, what most beginners do for having HTTPS are
- Getting SSL Installed from hosting team
- Install & activate Really Simple SSL plugin, and done.
Wow! Amazing shortcut.
However, I don’t want you rely on a shortcut and never learn anything new that how you can use HTTPS for WordPress even without using “Really Simple SSL” plugin.
This plugin does below things
- Replacing all internal links from HTTP to HTTPS at frontend
- Preventing redirect loop in case of reverse proxy like Cloudflare
- Fix some JetPack issue
To remove properly
Required: SFTP access.
Login to WordPress
Go to plugin list
Deactivate and Delete “Really Simple SSL plugin”
Now, WordPress will be logged out automatically. No need to fear. Get ready to login to SFTP.
Edit wp-config.php file, and add this code before
/* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */
- Force HTTPS using .htaccess
- Now go to WordPress Dashboard > General Settings
- Update Site URL and Home URL in the HTTPS version
- Last, you need to do Search and Replace. You can use “Better Search & Replace” plugin which will do this job efficiently. You must know basically that you need to replace HTTP version link to the HTTPS.
Caution: Using Better search and Replace can be problem with some theme (Example: OptimizePress).
If you have any theme/plugin based on premium licence, you must have valid key before proceeding as reactivatation may be required.
It is strongly recommended to take backup before proceeding. Ref: screenshot
That’s all. You never need “Really Simple SSL” plugin again. I hope this helps.
Thanks & Regards,